Wednesday, October 22, 2008

7 Things You Should Know About Me.

So my dear friend Carrot tagged me. What does this mean? That I am going to tell you 7 random things about myself and then I have to tag 7 other people who have blogs to do the same... Here are my fun facts about me, more details at the end...

1. When I was little, like 6 or 7, my mom made me go to manners class, which was the modern day version of a cotillion, which she had to go to as a kid. We didn't really have to dance with each other, from what I remember. But we did have to practice things like using formal dinnerware and answering the phone. If our parents weren't home, we learned how to lie and say that they were, so that no creepy adults would act on the opportunity of abducting an unsupervised child. I remember being really embarrassed because when we were practicing what to say, I accidentally said that my parents weren't home. It was one of those moments when my face got really red and everyone went "ooooooh." For the graduation we had to dress up real fancy like and do some weird step/dance thing while some adult person introduced us. I remember that I said I wanted to be a princess, or a queen when I grew up. And when the adult person read that part about me, all the adults laughed.

2. I have lived in all of the states that start with a "c". I was born in Colorado. We moved to California when I was three. And then we moved to Connecticut during the summer before 5th grade started. We did move again, in the middle of my eighth grade year, to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I ended up moving back to California when I was 17 to go to college at the University of California at Santa Cruz. I have been living in Portland for 5 years. 

3. I have an Eloise tattoo on my right leg and "you are here" written on my chest, surrounded by several stars.

4. My middle name is Mattie, after my great-grandmother. My cousins and I all called her  Nanymama. She was born and raised in rural Tennessee and lived in Atlanta, Georgia most of her adult life. She lived to be 103 years old.

5. This weekend I am going to be participating in "Thrill the World". What is thrill the world, you ask? Well this woman from Canada decided she wanted to teach herself the dance from the Michael Jackson video, "Thriller". Then she decided she wanted to try and beat the Guinness Book of World Records for the most people doing the same dance at the same time. If you go to www.thrilltheworld.com you can learn more about the event and see the videos she has made of herself teaching the dance. People from all over the world will be participating in this year's event, which will be happening this Saturday. The Portland chapter of Thrill the World organizers have been working hard to recruit as many zombies as possible. The event is at the Rose City Rollers Hangar at Oak's Park.  It starts at 11am (the dance is only 6 minutes long) and costs $5. All proceeds go to SMYRC, the Sexual Minority Youth Resource Center. 

6. I had an all female radio show in college called "happy and bleeding". I got the name from a P.J. Harvey song. I also co-hosted an indie rock show called "left of the dial" with my friend Joe. For one hot minute I was helping my friend Cody out with his talk show, "Workers' Power" but I got in trouble for playing a song with swear words in it.

7. In 9th grade I got kicked out of advanced English class for calling my teacher, Ms. Haar, Ms. Whore. I didn't think she heard me, but she did. I tried the old classic of just claiming she had heard me wrong, but one of my classmates, whom I was trying to impress in the first place, told the vice principal that I had most definitely said what she thought I said. 

So I actually have decided not to tag anyone else. I know, its kind of cheating but I am still somewhat new to this blog thing and don't have many blogging friends (that I know of), besides Carrot, who tagged me. And I dont really want to tag folks I don't know... at the moment. Maybe later...




No comments: