Thursday, September 4, 2008

Back to School

I have started a few blogs before and haven't been very dilligent about keeping up with them. We'll see how this one goes...

I am a substitute para-educator in the Portland Public School system. What is a paraeducator you ask? Good question..

A paraeducator is basically an educational assistant for classrooms that have kids with special needs. Since I am a sub, my job is completely different every day. The age range is kindergarten through some transitional programs for 18-21 year olds. This is my second year doing this work.

I am also a writer, a musician and an artist. I do yoga, I like to cook food and play with friends. I am queer, female identified and socialized. I have several tattoos. Most of my clothes I have acquired at second-hand stores and free boxes. Needless to say, I don't always fit the mold of someone who is working in the school system. 

Sometimes I feel more like a secret spy than someone than a figure of authority. I plan to use this blog to document and process what goes on my daily working and non-working life.

Thursday September 4th

Today was my first working day of the school year. Yesterday was technically the first day of school but I guess there wasn't a very high demand for subs because I didn't get any calls in the morning, which was fine, I needed the rest. I just got back into town after working at a farm outside of Corvallis, Or all summer. I am still re-adjusting to city life...

Today I worked in a behavior room for kindergarteners. Most of the kids in the class have autism and/or pretty severe behavior issues. This means that screaming, pinching, hitting, and kids trying to run out of the classroom are things that happen on a regular basis. Since it is the first week of school things are even more challenging because there are a few kids who have never been in a classroom before.

I have been at this school before and was excited to go back. Shortly after I got there, I remembered the one major issue I had with how the class was run. The teacher and the other paras all use gummi bears as positive reinforcement for good behavior. "Oh I like how Jimmy has been sitting quietly," the teacher will say, as she whips out her plastic baggie of gummi bears, handing him one for the whole class to see.

I do not agree with giving kids sugar, especially as a way of rewarding them. Um, dont you think its going to be even harder to get them to behave/listen to you/sit quietly/be nice to each other, if they are all jacked up on sugar all the time. I know, a gummi bear or two probably doesn't have that much sugar in it, but its a matter of principal, goddamnit!

Another thing that bothers me is that now for "security reasons" kids are only allowed to bring pre-packaged food to school to share with other students for birthday treats. Gone are the days of homemade cookies, now all the kids bring are Safeway cupcakes and plastic wrapped goodies. Its so sad.

I have just accepted a job for the next 2 weeks. I have also just decided to collaborate on an art installation with my friend, the show is next friday. Its gonna be a busy coupla weeks. Wish me luck...

3 comments:

lolo said...

Yay! I'm so glad your back and can't wait to see you. I'm glad that things are going well for you. Let me know about your art show.

xoxox

Unknown said...

like homeland security terrorist cupcakes? or like fucking weirdos that put razor blades in them but don't because it's actually a myth?
my brother does the same thing as you, but not as a sub. he works just with elementary school kids in san bernardino.
i would get the little shits hooked on carrot sticks or brussel sprouts nsted of gelatinous sugar beasts... they'll all be like "wow! tommy got a organic carrot, i want one too!"
isn't it kind of like how people are taught to teach obedience to dogs though?

Sarah said...

Go shizzy, go! You are doing an amazing job. I am excited to hear about the art show.
hearts